Helping meet physical and spiritual needs in the communities around San Juan Chamelco, Guatemala

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mayan Style

This is what a gringa in a corte and guipil (mayan dress) looks like. I borrowed this from a friend and everyone was just thrilled that I would attempt to identify more closely with their culture. Mayan clothing differs alot from region to region and everyone will know where you are from simply by your attire. The people here have been absolutely amazing and have done everything they can to welcome us. We have been invited to 5 different homes to celebrate Christmas. Fortunately, the tradition is to visit different homes throughout the entire night which means we will be eating tamales at each one these 5 homes.

Pray that I (Kallie) will continue to learn keq`chi since it is the Mayan language in this area. The women don`t speak spanish and the obvious barrier of communication will be broken, but as I have already seen, they are quick to bring down their walls of defense and distrust when I try and converse with them in their maternal language with the few words and phrases I`ve learned. When I meet a gal for the first time she will be very quiet, timid, and seemingly unfriendly, but as soon as I ask her, her name in Keq`chi (ani`aka`ba) her whole demeener changes as her face lights up with a big smile. They are not customed to foreigners taking the time to learn their language and this has really helped me to begin friendships even though communication is very limited. As you know, I still have alot of spanish learning left to do, but I am trusting that God will give my mind the ability to learn both simulataneously. To my delight and surprise I really enjoy learning languages. I am so talkative that I had anticipated frustration at the inability to express myself, but thanks to God this hasn`t been the case at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment