Helping meet physical and spiritual needs in the communities around San Juan Chamelco, Guatemala

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Meet Scarlett

We have been enjoying our baby so much that we’ve neglected our blog or that is the hardest excuse to give us grief over.

We arrived in Antigua just two days before “Blueberry” arrived. On January 5th we picked my mom up at the airport at noon and headed to a doctor’s appointment. At this point we were two for two, we made it to this side of the country and my mom wanted to see my big pregnant belly before “Blueberry” arrived. The doctor told me I could be admitted into the hospital since I was already five centimeters dilated. This was shocking news since I had felt nothing but normal 9th month discomfort. Doc told us to head to the mall and kill some time because he was convinced it wouldn’t be long. Yikes. I was sure “Blueberry” wouldn’t come until after the due date (10th) judging by how I was feeling. From 4 until 5 Shane insisted that I keep walking to move things along after hearing for months from me how the average labor time for a first time mom is 15 hours. We keep phone calls to a minimum because Shane kept saying that, “The more people we call, the more we’ll have to call back this evening to say it was a false alarm.” At 5 I needed to sit down and get hydrated because I was starting to think the doctor was correct. Six rolled around and I NEEDED to get out of there. I felt like someone in a movie as I waddled at an incredible rate with brows furrowed and red faced towards the parking garage.

I’ll spare the details but we arrived at the hospital at 6:15 and at 8:30 we met our daughter, Scarlett Esperanza. She weighed 6 lbs and 14 ounces. We thank you for your prayers, everything went so smoothly. Not only did we get a healthy baby girl, but I had a water birth without any medical interventions, something I really wanted.

4 comments:

  1. Praise, Praise!! I have been waiting patiently to hear the news! She is beautiful! Congratulations you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarlett is beautiful!! We are thrilled for you and thanking God with you for your precious baby girl! We will look forward to meeting her on your next trip home :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Shane and Kallie! Scarlett is a wonderful addition to your family! Thinking and praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete