Helping meet physical and spiritual needs in the communities around San Juan Chamelco, Guatemala

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Birthday Weekend

I (Shane) turned 25 this last weekend. I was given a surprise birthday party Saturday night by one of our fellow employees, Carlos, that works in the Guatemala City office. He said that since we had no family here to celebrate with, he wanted to come down and celebrate with us. They brought wine and cake and Kallie and I made everyone a Cajun meal (our favorite type) for dinner, but I think it was too spicy for most everyone. The Guatemalan's are very polite and ate it all (though some very slowly and with much pain). From now on, we will probably stick with pizza or pasta. It was a fun night and made me feel very welcomed and at home here. The next morning my lovely wife gave me a guitar for my birthday. That was quite a surprise and I have been wanting to learn to play (I think my uke might be a little jealous to share her time, but she'll get used to it).

I've began meeting some of the men that form the water committees in some of the communities where we are working. It's great to be able to see and find out more about their current water systems and what they think needs improvement. Please pray that these meetings will go well, that I will ask the right questions, and that I can start building relationships with these men.

No comments:

Post a Comment