Helping meet physical and spiritual needs in the communities around San Juan Chamelco, Guatemala

Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Prepare your minds for action" - 1 Peter 1:13


The rain´s been pouring down hard this week and so we´ve been stuck in the office the last couple of days. But though I (Shane) would rather be out in the communities, some time in the office can be good to "prepare my mind for action".

Ideas have consequences. Or in other words, our worldviews shape our actions that will have an impact on other people. For instance, my understanding and beliefs about poverty are going to shape the methods in which I try help the people here overcome poverty. So often I can get caught up trying to act like a Christian should, without first making sure my thoughts align with those of God, without first making sure I "think Christian". The fact is, though, that if I don´t make a conscious effort to think like Christ I will begin to think like the rest of the world and my actions will reflect it.

That is why it is so important to read and study the Bible, to simply ask God for wisdom, and to quiet oneself to hear the leading of the Counselor (the Holy Spirit)- all of which I have done too little of lately. And the ironic thing is that while I´m here to help those living in poverty I am living in another form of poverty myself.

King Solomon, when God told him to ask for anything he wanted, asked for wisdom and God blessed him immensely for it. I think this is because He knew Solomon had his priorities straight. Solomon knew that wisdom (a mind aligned with the Creator of the universe) was the base for success for everything else in life.

Lord, please fill my own emptiness with wisdom and a rich relationship with you that my mind may be prepared for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment