Helping meet physical and spiritual needs in the communities around San Juan Chamelco, Guatemala

Friday, November 5, 2010

Ups and Downs

We always knew that leaving family behind would be the hardest part of living here. In a culture where family is everything, little time is left for friendships and skype doesn’t always meet our relational needs.

In the same week, my mother remarried and Shane’s grandma Myrtle passed away. My mother has been single for 14 years after being widowed and I am glad God has brought someone into her life. She is a warm, people person who loves companionship and my youngest brother just left for college, therefore I was really happy that the timing was perfect. I look forward to getting to know this lucky guy, whom I haven’t met, when I return for our home leave.

Myrtle lived right next door to Shane’s family for many years. We were able to spend a lot of time with her while support-raising in Missoula. We are so thankful for that extended amount of time, for while we were so anxious to get the rest of our support in, God was giving us an opportunity to spend much quality time with Grandma. Her love for her Savior was evident and we look forward to seeing her again one day.

We would have liked to be with family during these times of celebration and of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment