Helping meet physical and spiritual needs in the communities around San Juan Chamelco, Guatemala

Friday, March 25, 2011

Getting Personal


Yesterday a few of us went to visit an 84 year old woman, Aura. She fell three weeks ago and hasn't been out of bed since. We sang some songs, visited and finally prayed for her. We wanted to cheer her up and see how she was doing. She has a wood bed, without a mattress or even cushions, and she is wrapped up in some blankets. It's chilly, damp and dark in the modest home. There is a rope hanging from the ceiling, so she can clutch it to pull herself to an upright, sitting position. Aura is in pain and without any medicine to help relieve it.

Initially, I only notice what she doesn't have and feel sorry for her. Then, I start thinking from a different perspective, and I notice what she does have… some food, dry shelter, blankets, a neighbor who is visiting, and her daughter’s care. Although she is in poverty, physically that is, she is blessed through her relationships. She lives with family whom she is around everyday. I’ll bet she likes hearing the kids play out front and the clanging pans as her daughter cooks a meal for the family.

Silence is the enemy in the U.S. For many aging adults (every other age group as well), boredom, isolation, and loneliness is a devastating form of poverty. It is relational poverty and is all too prevalent in the States. As I think about the contrasts between Guatemala and the US, I've realized that to me I’d rather be in pain and near people I love as opposed to being drugged up and feeling good but all alone in my final years of life.

When Adam and Eve chose to sin, all areas of life are affected…including our relationships with each other. Fortunately, through Jesus ALL things, even relationships, can be reconciled. When the book of Acts describes the church growing by thousands, I think this is due to relationships. Christians were close, sharing time, conversation, debate, and were also reaching out and showing Christ's love to others.

I urge you to consider poverty from the relational rather than the physical standpoint As you are reading, does anyone come to mind when thinking about this form of poverty? Put the busyness of life aside and give them a call or better yet…stop by.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for challenging my thinking...too often we get stuck seeing things from the negative perspective. From personal experience I understand relational poverty...it can be pretty lonely sometimes. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete